Lauding the timely implementation of nationwide lockdown to combat coronavirus pandemic in the country, Empowered Group 1, one of the task forces created in view of the outbreak, on Friday said the growth rate of COVID-19 cases has taken a significant dip since the first week of April. The task force went on to stress that the number of virus casualties in the country could have been much higher had there been a delay in implementing lockdown.

During a press briefing, Empowered Group 1 chairman VK Paul said, “The growth rate of COVID-19 cases has witnessed a steady fall from April 3, 2020 when the lockdown was able to put a brake on the speed of growth. The number of cases today would have been much higher, had lockdown not been implemented.”

Like the number of cases, the growth rate of the number of COVID-19 deaths too has fallen significantly due to lockdown, marking a notable difference between pre-lockdown and post-lockdown situations, he added.

Citing a health report, he said that India has avoided between 14 lakh to 29 lakh COVID-19 cases and 37,000-78,000 virus-related deaths all because of the lockdown.

VK Paul then confirmed that 80 per cent of the total COVID-19 cases in the country are concentrated in just five states – Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Delhi and Madhya Pradesh.

More than 90 per cent of the total cases have been reported in 10 states while the remaining 10 per cent cases have been recorded in the rest of the country, he said.


The Empowered Group 1 chairman also confirmed that around 70 per cent of the coronavirus cases have been recorded in just 10 cities – Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Thane, Pune, Indore, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Aurangabad.

Talking about production of medicine and medical equipment, VK Paul said, “Manufacture of diagnostic kits has begun. Our indigenous capacity will be able to manufacture 5 Lakh kits daily in the next 6-8 weeks. ICMR prepared viral culture, at least 5 companies & 4-6 scientists are working at national laboratories to develop the vaccine.”

Earlier in the day, Indian Council of Medical and Research’s (ICMR) Dr Raman Gangakhedkar confirmed that 27,55,714 COVID-19 tests have been conducted in the country till 1 pm today. Today is also the fourth consecutive day when more than 1 lakh COVID-19 tests have been conducted in one day in the country.

As per latest reports, around 1,18,447 confirmed cases of coronavirus have been reported in the country. Out of them, 48,534 have been successfully treated while 3,583 have succumbed to the deadly disease.


News Source: Timesnownews


By Editor

We Try To Share All important Information With You.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *